Thursday, May 29, 2008

It's "A NEW CAR!!!"

OK, so the gas price was starting to take a toll. With work and school, I put a lot of miles on the road. I finally started to run numbers and track mileage about a month and a half ago. What I found was a bit shocking. Our truck was getting 15 miles per gallon. The Jeep is getting 18 miles per gallon. In the truck, I am on target to hit around 26,000 miles for the year. When I ran the numbers, gas was $3.75 per gallon. That brings us to $6,500 in gas for the truck alone. When I included the Jeep, we were just under $11,000 for the year. To top it off, the truck is at 60,000 miles and the tires were so bald that they were starting to blister. One of the benefits to having a truck with an upgraded wheel package is the ability to buy tires at a price of $2,000 a set!!!
After spreadsheeting out gas prices and mileage, I found that I would save quite a bit of money by trading in the truck even if I had to make payments on a new car. To make a long story shorter, we traded in the truck for a 2008 Honda Civic at 30 MPG.

I tried to find a photo of the truck in our files, but this was the best I could do. I think you get the point. It was big!!!

No comments: